cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum LAN to WAN Speeds

mjs2609
Level 1
Level 1

I am considering a Cisco integrated service router for a network with primary WAN connectivity via ethernet to either a cable modem or fiber optic "modem" (like with Verizon Fios). My concern is the maximum speed supported via the WAN ethernet interface. Currently the cable modem supports up to 10 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up and I am expecting these speeds to increase in the near future. Regarding the fiber interface, speeds can be as high as 30 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up., and again I expect these to grow as well. As these devices have WAN ethernet ports rated for 100baseT, will they fully support 200 Mbps FDX or 100 Mbps non-FDX? Is the backplane of the router going to be a bottle-neck in reaching these speeds? I am concered as other routers that I have investigated (such as Linkys, etc) will not support full port-speed. The models being considered are: Cisco 851, 871, and 1811.

Thanks...

1 Reply 1

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

i recon......u shd start considering 2800 series router as it is too much spped for the above mentioned routers.....cheers

rate if it helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card