Views
Helpful
Replies

memory error when adding a network modue

ted_rakiewicz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a cisco 3745 router that has 64 meg flash and 128 meg DRAM. I have "c3745-adventerprisek9-mz.123-14.T5.bin" flash image on. When I add a network module NM-HD-2V to the router I get scrolling "low on memory" errors and the router will not function. It will let me login between the errors but it won't respond on the network. I've tried a new NM-HD-2V module with the same results. I can't really get to show the config as the errors are preventing that. Is there a way to check the DRAM? or any other ideas.

thanks,

Ted

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Ted,

Running a config of yours through Software Advisor shows that ur memory configs looks good. I would suggest trying different slots. Also try a "memory-size iomem " command. and see if that helps

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I tried all available slots. What would you suggest I try for the iomem?

The router when it boots up automatically adjusts the memory. Try 10 for the percentage. See if that helps. Once you configure this command, do a write mem and reload.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

the router is automatically adjusting it to 14%. I tried 20% and it gave me an warning saying it might be too much so I left it alone. I noticed the auto allocating didn't change from 14% when I put in the module although it saw it in its table. Shouldn't it have gone up?

Ted

20 may be too much to allocate. If its 14, I would leave it alone. Can you paste a sh diag, sh version and also the exact boot sequence output from your router (errors included)

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

I can't issue the commands as the "low on memory" is scrolling too much. But I did attach the boot sequence output w/errors

I also got this from the output interpreter. Do you know what could cause the memory to be so high?

SHOW MEMORY NOTIFICATIONS (if any)

ERROR: Processor memory utilization is 96.64849%. This is considered to be very

high.

Processor memory or main memory stores the running configuration and routing tables.

The Cisco IOS software executes from main memory.

The amount of processor memory required by the router is affected by the Cisco IOS

version used, the size of the network and by the access list configurations

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card