cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory / Flash upgrade for C2801

Pawel Lenart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Currently I have C2801 with 256MB of memory and 64MB of flash. I want to upgrade it to 384MB / 128MB. My question is:

Do I need to get MEM2801-256D or I can use any PC133 SDRAM (144PIN) for memory? 384 is maximum I can install?

Do I need to get MEM1800-128CF or I can use any compant flash card? 128MB is maximum I can install? (I saw 256MB flash on for C2801)

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Do I need to get MEM2801-256D or I can use standard PC133 SDRAM?

Unless you've seen a 3rd party memory work before, I'd recommend you get the Cisco memory.

leolaohoo wrote:

Unless you've seen a 3rd party memory work before, I'd recommend you get the Cisco memory.

Haven't tried it before and I don't know anyone who did, that's why I'm asking here.

leolaohoo, I've seen your other posts and you said that third party CF cards are working on Cisco routers. If you don't mind can you tell me if you have any 2801 with third party CF which is working? How big CF you have installed in it and what's the manufacturer (Part number would be better)?

If you don't mind can you tell me if you have any 2801 with third party CF which is working?

Wait a sec ... Your post says you want to upgrade the DRAM.  CF and DRAM are two different things.

Yes I know, you posted your first message before I modified my original message. Yes, 2 different things, I already know that you are unsure about Memory. What about CF?

I'm sure about the CF.  I have ISR G1 routers and Sup720 with 2Gb CF and they work. 

I cannot tell you what brand you should try because we are not from the same country.  My suggestion is for you to buy one from your local electronic shop and insert the CF into a NON-PRODUCTION appliance.  Check the logs of the appliance to see if the CF is recognized or not.  IF it is then go out and buy more of the same brand.

I'm pretty sure country will not make a big difference. Most CF providers have the same cards in Europe or USA. Can you push me in rigt direction? Do you know which ones are working in your system (on ISR G1) so I can start my check with these cards / brands?

I'm pretty sure country will not make a big difference.

I'm pretty sure it does make a difference.  I am using a CF purchased from OfficeWorks.  It's a generic-branded product.  I purchased a large quantity when I confirmed that the "batch" works.

Thanks very much. I just checked and memory in my C2801 is not Cisco branded. It's "Viking". I will test different memory (3rd party) to see if it's working.

There you go.  If it's Viking then see if you can test another one from the same brand.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card