cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory upgrade for 2801

alvaroadp
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am in the need of having more memory on my 2801, I will run BGP on it, and would like it some more room to play with, but the thing is that my local retailer is charging me US$ 2700 for the 256 megs upgrade. That sounds unreasonable to me, so I am thinking third party memory cards. Anyone knows what kind of memory does this router needs? I opened it, and it looks like a regular sodimm (maybe PC133). Any clues? Thanks

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Not sure whether you can use any third party memory cards.

But i recently upgraded the memory by 256MB for my 2811 router which approx costed about $1600. You might need to check with other vendors as well :-)

But if you just want to run BGP and exchange some routes, it does not require a 256MB memory.

256MB of memory is recommended when you want to have the entire internet routing table. iF that is the case then i would probably go with atleast a 38xx series router.

HTH

Narayan

Well I still have not decided how much I will filter, but getting another router at this point is not an option. Perhaps another 128MB would do it then... well anyway, this is the only retailer I have at this moment, small town. I am thinking of giving it a shot with sodimms I have around...

Have a look at this link

http://www.ciscomemoryupgrades.com/cisco-memory-cisco-router-memory-cisco-2800-series-router-memory-2801-router-memory.html

just understabd that cisco may withhold support for the product if they find that the problem is attributed to any third party product

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/prod_warranties_item09186a00800b5594.html

HTH

Narayan

jerry.mcrae
Level 1
Level 1

try memoryx.net for third party cisco memory.

alvaroadp
Level 1
Level 1

Just to let you guys know, that I've gone bold and tried with regular sodimm PC133, and it works fine so far.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card