cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory Usage

GRIMESI
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, My 3640 router has 128MB of RAM and I see that the available memory keeps getting smaller until the router stops working and I have to reboot. Could it be bad memory? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1. You have a high CPU utilization but nothing indicates which process is causing it.

2. You have a high memory utilization for the following process;

chunk manager

ipsec keyengine

eem ed syslog

ssh process

If you don't use IPSEC VPN, use an IOS with no IPSEC feature.

Use telnet if you are connecting to the router from a secure site, use ACL in VTY instead of using SSH.

Monitor "chunk manager" if the memory utilization is increasing over time (hours or days)

Capture "show tech-support" before you reboot the router next time it has a memory problem again and post it here

Check if you have memory errors in the log like "SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL" and post it here together with the "show tech-support"

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you post the following command outputs?

show version

show proc mem

show proc cpu

I usally start with 30-31MB free after rebooting. I've attached the requested outputs. Thanks.

1. You have a high CPU utilization but nothing indicates which process is causing it.

2. You have a high memory utilization for the following process;

chunk manager

ipsec keyengine

eem ed syslog

ssh process

If you don't use IPSEC VPN, use an IOS with no IPSEC feature.

Use telnet if you are connecting to the router from a secure site, use ACL in VTY instead of using SSH.

Monitor "chunk manager" if the memory utilization is increasing over time (hours or days)

Capture "show tech-support" before you reboot the router next time it has a memory problem again and post it here

Check if you have memory errors in the log like "SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL" and post it here together with the "show tech-support"

I'm going to downgrade the IOS and see happens. Thanks for your help.

sales
Level 1
Level 1

make sure you are paired with Cisco Approved memory, and that the ICs on the modules as well as the SPD Serial Code on the PCB is correct on each.  Here is a list of the parts:

http://simondirect.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_32

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: