cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro Ethernet Failover Problem

haroon.nadeem
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem that I am working on and wondering if somebody can help me out. We have dual 10 Mbps TLS circuits from our facility to another Regional office. I have configured floating static routes for the metro E; however, the problem with this is that if the metro E drops somewhere in our path, the routers won't both detect a drop in the circuit because they still have a connection to the next hop device. Therefore, the routers never install the floating route. Is there anyway around this?

4 Replies 4

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

can you ping your gateway?? is it working fine or not?

If it is working fine with no drops mean you lan connectivity fine.

After trace remote destination and take output.

In output what are the hops show by trace command... ping in different windows all are that IP addresses. and Observe some time.

You will look , on which ip address packets are getting drops.

If on perticular router can be examine... than look out on that router or if you are not administrator of that router than tell to that guy who has control.

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In this case the best way is to put a GRE tunnel so that any segment between two sties is down, GRE tunnel will go down

kunalpurk
Level 1
Level 1

The other way out is to run any dynamic routing protocol. In ur case, as i presume, there are small number of network devices, the best way is to run RIP on all the available links towards a particular destination.

You can also use Reliable static route backup using object tracking if you do not plan to runa any routing protocol

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft/123limit/123x/123xe/dbackupx.htm

HT, rate if it does

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card