Views
Helpful
Replies

MetroEthernet Switches to stub routers

Luis Ramirez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I work in a NOC  which the majority of the sites are being cutover from DSL, T1s, to Fiber. Our service providers has Cisco MetroE switches for their package of 100Mbps and below and they use Ciena switches for 100Mbps to 1Gbps at the branch offices. So far no issues with the Ciena connections to our Cisco routers.

I've notices that traffic stops in one direction. Either we open a ticket with our service provider to bounce the port connecting to our router, or we have the onsite tech unplug and plug back in the RJ-45 cable going to the MetroE switch. 

Anyone have a permanent solution?  I asked our provider to look into it, and their engineers wish me luck, it's like finding a needle in the hay stack.

Our branch offices, have 3660, 3700,3800, and 3900 routers. Our nodes are ASR 1013 and 9006, now all the fiber connections go to the 9006. It happen when the fiber connections were on the 1013. We point the finger at our service provider, they say nothing is wrong, but when I get them on the line they see one way traffic, and a shut no shut brings back our branch offices.

Respectfully,

Luis

1 Reply 1

Luis Ramirez
Level 1
Level 1

If you are going over to OPTEMAN or ASE, you have to track your service and bandwidth. We go over our CIR since we don't think all of our sites will hit capacity at ones, but those Windows updates, we pay a heavy cost, bursty traffic.

As we add more wireless devices, the MAC address cap out and our service provider polices up our traffic.  We have to upgraded our OPTEMAN service or increase or level of ASE service.

For our VoIP sites, Policy and Class Maps can help so much, but when the physical circuit at our nodes reach capacity, VoIP phones get the Temp Fail, users can't transfer calls, bottlenecks drops connection to our call manager cluster.

Word to the wise, don't overscriber for your important branch offices where traffic like voice is critical or other major business application.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card