cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MetroEthernet VLAN redundancy

batangbaler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have metro ethernet as our WAN provider and requiring as to have 2 VLANs. How are we going to configure 2 VLANs in one physical port, one is i guess primary and one is backup. Appreciate the response thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure I fully understand your requirement. I'm assuming that your router connects to their switch. If they've asked you to configure two vlans, you'd simply create two subinterfaces on the interface that connects to their switch and tag it:

int fa0/0

no ip address

int fa0/0.1520

encaps dot1q 1520

ip address

int fa0/0.2222

encaps dot1q 2222

ip address

Is this what you're looking for? I must say though, providing two vlans on a single cable isn't going to provide redundancy for your equipment.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure I fully understand your requirement. I'm assuming that your router connects to their switch. If they've asked you to configure two vlans, you'd simply create two subinterfaces on the interface that connects to their switch and tag it:

int fa0/0

no ip address

int fa0/0.1520

encaps dot1q 1520

ip address

int fa0/0.2222

encaps dot1q 2222

ip address

Is this what you're looking for? I must say though, providing two vlans on a single cable isn't going to provide redundancy for your equipment.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks for the reply!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card