cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from Bay ASN router to Cisco Routers

ddalessa
Level 1
Level 1

Our company recently bought a small company with an existing network which I must I essentially replace 2 Bay ASN routers (I know - old) of which no one in our group has ever used. They have a T1 coming into their main bldg, and another T1 going to their plant which is 2-3 blocks away. They have 2 Paradyne CSUs which are doing the channelizations for their voice and data. I essentially have to replace the Bay routers with Cisco Routers. My concern is, I am not sure how to go about programming my respective serial interfaces on each router so when I do make the swap (on a weekend), that they continue to operate/communicate as they have with the Bay routers. I realize this is question is loaded, I'm just not sure where to begin. Anyone have any ideas?

Much appreciated!

Dan

6 Replies 6

ddalessa
Level 1
Level 1

I should add, the consultant that originally set up the Bay routers has gone out of business some time ago. They have been running quietly for 2-3 yrs and have not been touched since.

hi,

I would at least try to poke around that Bay and find it's config for IP information and any other important needed info, static routes, ect. From there, you should be able to come up with a config on your replacement router. Have you sized the router that is going to replace this yet? I would also make sure you have all the proper cables and connectors needed to connect to the new router.

You could try to get hold of Nortel Site Manager (site mangler:) and run it up, attach to the ASN and you will be able to see all the config. If I remember correctly the command line is horrible on those ASN's.

You can deduce IP addresses and check the CSU/DSU from the front panel for line config.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If you plan to keep the CSU/DSUs, it should be a pretty easy swap. Generally speaking, all you'lll ned to do is get the right serial cable to match yur physical interfaces (probably a V.35/Winchester connector on the CSU/DSUs) and set up the same encaps and addresssing. You're done.

The CSU/DSUs are doing the add/drop ... everything coming in the serial port is data.

Getting the current settings shouldn't be too hard, as long as you have the "Site Manager" application used to configure the Bay/Nortel router. Make sure you are using the correct version of Site Manager though, if you use a version that is made for an earlier router OS, you may not see all of the settings.

The ASN is a pretty basic router, there can't be too much complicated stuff going on there.

It sounds fairly straight forward, do you have specific concerns?

Let us know

Scott

Yes! We are planning to retain the existing CSUs so from a cabling standpoint; it is V.35 so I am not concerned at all. I'm just not sure how to go about programming the respective serial interfaces. Everthing I've done so far is for Frame Relay, PPP and ATM. Here's the thing.. these ASNs have been in place for the company for so long, even they dont have the corresponding software. I don't have a clue where I can get my hands on a copy of Site Manager, let alone the version I need for these ASNs.

Thanks for your responses!

Dan

Site Manager may be available at the Nortel site, otherwise, any unnecessary values (at worst) are available by doing a "show" from the TI (technician interface) of the MIB variables for those values.

Best case, you may be able to install an IOS-like interface that I believe is still available (though it might be part of an OS update).

There are/were some help / support boards on the Nortel site, or perhaps someplace like ars-technica forums, Anandtech forums, or experts-exchange might shed some light.

If you know what the encaps is (HDLC, PPP, FR ...) and you know the endpoint info (or can get into the other side), you should be able to gather everything you need to set up the new router.

Encapsulation and IP address & mask should get you up & running. All of the line parms are in the CSU/DSU.

If you have a routing protocol, you'd need the parms for that too.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: