cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from EIGRP to BGP over Frame-Relay

itninja2010
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have two branch sites that connect to our HQ office using point-to-point frame-relay links.  We are using EIGRP as our routing protocol over the frame-relay links.  I need to implement BGP as the protocol to to advertise routes instead of EIGRP.  Do I need to get the carrier involved so that BGP will establish neighbors across the point-to-point frame-relay links?  These are not MPLS links, just point-to-point frame.  Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

itninja2010 wrote:

I currently have two branch sites that connect to our HQ office using point-to-point frame-relay links.  We are using EIGRP as our routing protocol over the frame-relay links.  I need to implement BGP as the protocol to to advertise routes instead of EIGRP.  Do I need to get the carrier involved so that BGP will establish neighbors across the point-to-point frame-relay links?  These are not MPLS links, just point-to-point frame.  Thanks.

No you don't because these are in effect private L2 circuits between your sites. The provider doesn't really care what you run across them in terms of routing protocols etc.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card