Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Migration Cisco 2620 to 2821 with VWIC's

Hi, I'm relatively new to Cisco. We have a CIsco 2620 with 7 serial interfaces and 1 ethernet configured. Now, I want to pull the VWIC-cards out of this 2620 and put them in a 2821. My question is, if it's possible to do a save of the running config and reload them into the 2821, since there is also an ethernet available and I re-use the VWIC cards ? Or do I have to to a complete configuration from scratch with configuring IP, subnets, interfaces,... ?

Any input is welcome !

Thanks in advance !

Kristof

3 REPLIES

Re: Migration Cisco 2620 to 2821 with VWIC's

Hi

few points to be considered before migrating from 2620 to 2821.

1.Need to find out the VWIC support in 2821 do revert whts the exact model name of the card.

2.IOS required to support the VWIC card in 2821,it shuldnt happen that once you switch off ur box and put the card in the 2821 later finding the ios code in 2821 doesnt support the card.

3.Also find out the slot/port arrangements in the 2821,based on the same you can always modify your exisiting configuration which is running in your 2620 box.

Also find out the support for any special features being run at present in your 2620 and also the support for all those features in 2821 box.

regds

Kristoff,

AlMost all VWICs supported on the 2620s are supported on the 2800s. I would assume your VWICs are the Multi flex trunk cards. Are these used for data or voice ? I am wondering how your 2600 config. With regular wic slots (2) on the 2620 you can put 4 serial ports (2 per slot). And then use a NM like NM2FE2W to populate two more cards (2 port and 1port vwic) to give a total of 7 serial interfaces.

The 2821 has 4 hwic slots which can take these vwic. For data only you wont need any PVDMs but if using Voice, you will need PVDMs.

Most IOSes starting 12.3 on the 2800 should support your vwics.

Like Edwin said, if you have any specific features on the 2600 being used, check for the same feature availability on the 2800. (99% of the features should be available).

HTH

Hi,

Thanks for your input. The reason why I upgrade to 28XX series from 26xx is the re-use of that 26xx in a remote site. The current 26xx is in the central office located. And to have same hardware in the remote sites, I choose to replace this by the 28XX series. The VWIC's we use are 2MFT-G703 and the configuration is pretty straight forward. As far as I know we have no special features used. It would be fast and easy if I could drop the running-config into a file and reload it in the 28xx over TFTP.

In this way I got most settings correct and can swiftly start with the fine-tuning of this router. This would we a great time gain because I have to keep downtime of this router as low as possible.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content