Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from Eigrp to Ospf

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

let us forget the last fire topics.& now i want To migrate the routing protocole from eigrp to ospf.Does anyone have any Good idea,Best reference;link some thing like this!

Any help will be very much appreciated.

7 Replies 7

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

I'm assuming that you are comfortable with OSPF configuration and are just asking for some ideas on how to migrate from EIGRP to OSPF. That is, I'm assuming you have an area design etc in mind.

One possible strategy is to start off with OSPF configured with an admin distance of say, 250. In fact, anything over 170 should be fine. What that would do is to make sure that any OSPF-learned routes are not installed in the routing table in preference to EIGRP.

I would then configure OSPF on one router at a time until all were done. Since you have configured a high AD for OSFP, you should find that no OSPF routes are present in the routing tables. However, you should be able to see all relevant LSAs in the OSPF database to verify that OSPF is indeed working okay.

Once you are happy with that, you can start reducing the AD for OSPF on your routers one by one until all of them are done. The native OSPF AD is higher than that of EIGRP so you can increase the EIGRP AD instead of lowering the OSPF AD (or do both).

The process is a bit more involved than what I've described above but this can form a starting point.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

hi; 10xs for your reply could you post to me a usefull link or a case study about this issue.

10xs

There is a similar sort of example in Chapter 13 of Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 by Jeff Doyle (ISBN: 1587052024)

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

hi!

i looked that chapter in tcp/ip ver1;but it's migration from rip to eigrp.pls i need some kinds from eigrp to ospf.

10xs

Ali

It's really the principal that matters. I'm not sure whether you will find a case study that exactly matches your requirements...

However, if you use the strategy described in my earlier posts as a starting point, I'm sure we'd be able to help you to fill in the details...

Paresh

10xs paresh; AOL Convert its Network from is-is to ospf i will investigate there.

10xs again

Ali

No problems, Ali.

If you found the posts useful, pls do rate them

Paresh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card