Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from VRRP to HSRP

jahanzeb.feroze
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Is there anyway to migrate from Cisco VRRP to HSRP, actually i have Vrrp configure on my switch and needs to migrate to Hsrp. Please guide me how to do this ?

Regards

Jahanzeb

9 Replies 9

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can have vrrp and hsrp running under the same interface simultaneously but obviously not overlapping subnets.

If your planning on using same ip address range then there will need to be a cutover from vrrp to hsrp which will mean downtime , if your using new ip address space you could minimise imapct by setting it all up and then disabling hsrp vip ip

Means i have to configure each and every interface separtely ? isnt there any way to do this automaticcally, likke running any command globally?

you could do it automatically if you have Cisco prime or works and roll it out but there is no global conversion command between FHRPS

Want to do it on core switch, will any command or scripts works?

There is no automatic way.

If its core dont take any chance plan a mw..then start with hsrp config on interfaces once the hsrp works fine remove  the vrrp config.

Hi InayathUlla Sharieff

Want to use same pool of IPs in HSRP, is it possible to keep both config i-e VRRP and HSRP with the same IP pool and later delete the VRRP ?

Jahanzeb,

Want to use same pool of IPs in HSRP, is it possible to keep both config i-e VRRP and HSRP with the same IP pool and later delete the VRRP ?

Answer:- No you cannot have this. Same ip address used by two protocol on interface is not supported.

Example:-

6500-1#sh run int vlan 2

interface Vlan2
description abc
ip address 146.123.99.3 255.255.255.128

standby 0 ip 146.123.99.1  >> HSRP ip

Now  I will try to configure VRRP with same ip:-

6500-1(config-if)#vrrp 10 ip 146.123.99.1
% 146.123.99.1 is assigned to another application on Vlan2  >> Error.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

**Please do not forget to rate all usefull posts**

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Automatically?  Not that I'm aware.  Depending on device, you may be able to write a script that would reconfigure all your ports.

BTW, when doing something like this, don't forget to deactivate all standbys first, otherwise, when you flip the active gateway, a standby will try to take over.

Going from VRRP to HSRP may have minmal impact because HSRP will send a gratious ARP with its activation.  Of course, you may have hosts that won't process the gratious ARP.

BTW, unsure whether VRRP will send a gratious ARP when its activated.  So, going from HSRP to VRRP might disconnect all your hosts.

Means no downtime required for this configuration ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card