cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Minimum image level to do BGPv4, 2851

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, what's the minimum image I should use if I need to run BGPv4 on my 2851 router?

I know that the c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-9.T5.bin will do BGP for example, but my question is, is this the image the one can give me BGP and it is the most cost effective one?

I know how to use the feature navigation software, but I see so many images there which can support BGP that it is hard to find out which ones are the minimal I need.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marlon

I believe that BGP in the Advanced Security image has been a moving target. A while back I remember looking and there was no support for BGP in the Advanced Security image (I had a customer running the Advanced Security image who wanted BGP). I just tried it on a router running 12.4(15)T and it lets me configure BGP just fine. I am not clear whether it is an early 12.4/later 12.4 thing or a 12.4/12.4T thing. But I can tell you for sure that there are some versions of the Advanced Security feature set that do have BGP support.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marlon

According to the Feature Navigator on the Cisco site you get support for BGP with Advanced Security, Advanced IP Services, and Advanced Enterprise Services. I am not sure that any of these is particularly more cost effective than any other.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Funny that the "Advanced Security" is supposed to give me BGP, because when I try to use image c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3i.bin (and I checked the image feature using the feature navigation) I see no support for BGP there.

If I do 'router BGP' on that image, I am getting 'command not supported in this image'. Not sure if I understand this one.

Marlon

I believe that BGP in the Advanced Security image has been a moving target. A while back I remember looking and there was no support for BGP in the Advanced Security image (I had a customer running the Advanced Security image who wanted BGP). I just tried it on a router running 12.4(15)T and it lets me configure BGP just fine. I am not clear whether it is an early 12.4/later 12.4 thing or a 12.4/12.4T thing. But I can tell you for sure that there are some versions of the Advanced Security feature set that do have BGP support.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card