cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Missing interfaces

mnleblanc
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone experienced an 2511 RJ series router not showing any interfaces? The output of the show tech-support command show nothing under show controllers or show interfaces.

6 Replies 6

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

Please provide the "show ver" output. As I remember, you should have 2 serials, 16 async & one LAN.

I believe these symptoms can also be caused if there is a problem with the code that the router is running. Has the IOS image on that router changed recently? The show ver output will show what code the router is running and may help to resolve this aspect.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

mnleblanc
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both for your responses. The router was used, recently acquired. When I changed the config-register to 0x2101 (boot) the interfaces would appear in the show ver and show run commands. At that point I could assign an IP to E0. Then I resolved the issue by reloading the IOS from TFTP. Finally, I changed the config-register back to 0x2102 for normal operation.

mnleblanc
Level 1
Level 1

If you are still interested, I have attached the output of the show tech-support command that illustrates the original problem, and I am still curious about the cause.

You are doing the right procedure and what we are asking for the IOS version is going to identify any problem to cause the problem.

And it is good that you solved the problem yourself. I suspect it may the crash of original IOS in router or it is not using the correct IOS for this router model.

Mark

Congratulations for finding the solution to your problem. And thanks for posting the show tech output. It shows that something very strange was happening which points to an invalid IOS (which is the direction that Jack and I were suspecting). At the top of the output it says that the version is 11.2(25a):

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-J-L), Version 11.2(25a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

but a little further down it says that the image file is version 11.3(11c):

System image file is "flash:c2500-d-l.113-11c.bin", booted via flash

I have never seen a similar mismatch between the version indicated in the first line and the version in the flash image (unless the previous owner renamed the flash file for some reason) and believe that it reflects serious problems with the code that it was running. It would have been interesting to see the messages sent to the console at boot time and I wonder if they would have indicated some problem in booting. Since you have fixed the problem we will never know. You centainly did well to replace the image.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card