Views
Helpful
Replies

MLP on a 1721?

kronikd22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently have a 7206 communicating to a 1721 at a remote site. The link is a private/point-to-point 1.544 circuit (HDLC).

Down the road, we may want to add another 1.544 link between these two sites to accomodate bandwidth needs.

My question is, will MLP work between our 7206 and the 1721? I have never run MLP on a 1721 before, and I was wondering if it can support/handle it.

Worst case scenario, we could simply use CEF to balance the load....but I would prefer to virtually combine the two links together.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For 1721, it supports up to 6.13Mbps throughput. Therefore, if for the WAN only, it is fine to enable MLPPP. However, if there are other applications, you have to check the CPU loading as stated by spremkumar.

However, I cannot such info. to indicate the support of MLPPP. You better check the command at router.

And I agreed with spremkumar to use equal cost load sharing for alternative solution.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Instead of doing MLPP and overload the CPU of your Cisco 1721 you can define 2 equal cost static routes and do the load balancing accordingly.

In addition to that if you still want to have MLPP then i would suggest you to check the cpu utilisation at present.

Also make sure you are not running/configuring any other cpu extensive features on that..

regds

For 1721, it supports up to 6.13Mbps throughput. Therefore, if for the WAN only, it is fine to enable MLPPP. However, if there are other applications, you have to check the CPU loading as stated by spremkumar.

However, I cannot such info. to indicate the support of MLPPP. You better check the command at router.

And I agreed with spremkumar to use equal cost load sharing for alternative solution.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card