Views
Helpful
Replies

MLPPP configuration on CE and PE

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi All,

I configured the PE and the CE as follows, but i got a lot of packet loss and a very high delay, any comments ?

CE:

!

interface Loopback13

ip address 13.13.13.2 255.255.255.252

!

interface Virtual-Template1

bandwidth 2048

ip unnumbered Loopback13

ppp multilink

ppp multilink fragment-delay 10

ppp multilink interleave

!

interface Serial0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

no fair-queue

frame-relay traffic-shaping

frame-relay lmi-type cisco

!

interface Serial0.1 point-to-point

frame-relay class mlppptest

frame-relay interface-dlci 101 ppp Virtual-Template1

!

interface Serial1

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

no fair-queue

frame-relay traffic-shaping

frame-relay lmi-type cisco

!

interface Serial1.1 point-to-point

frame-relay class mlppptest

frame-relay interface-dlci 102 ppp Virtual-Template1

!

!

map-class frame-relay mlppptest

frame-relay adaptive-shaping becn

frame-relay cir 2048000

frame-relay bc 20480

frame-relay be 0

!

PE: (ATM Router)

!

interface Loopback13

ip address 13.13.13.1 255.255.255.252

!

!

interface Virtual-Template1

bandwidth 2048

ip unnumbered Loopback13

ppp multilink

ppp multilink fragment delay 14

ppp multilink interleave

!

interface Switch1

no ip address

no atm ilmi-keepalive

no rpm-sar-auto-recovery

rpm-auto-cbclk-change

!

interface Switch1.101 point-to-point

description MLPPP Test 1st Link

pvc 0/101

abr 2663 2663

encapsulation aal5autoppp Virtual-Template1

!

!

interface Switch1.102 point-to-point

description MLPPP Test 2nd Link

pvc 0/102

abr 2663 2663

encapsulation aal5autoppp Virtual-Template1

!

!

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

After changing the CE (it was 1721 and i replaced it with 1751V) --> The delay and packet drop issue was solved but the links utilization doesn't exceed 1.5M.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

One thing I would suggest is to remove the 'bandwidth' statement from the virtual-template interface definition. When using MLPPP, you generally want your bandwidth to be determined dynamically depending on the number of active interfaces in the bundle.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Paresh,

Thanks alot, but i've tried you suggestion and it didn't work --> The links still saturate @ 1.5M.

Any other suggestions ?

So you are getting 1.5Mbps per link, right ? And not 1.5Mbps of aggregate traffic ?

One other thing you might want to try is remove ' frame-relay adaptive-shaping becn' from your FR map-classes. That will ensure that you are always shaping out at 2048k.

Could you post the output of 'sh frame-realy pvc 101' and 'sh frame-realy pvc 102' from your CE ?

Paresh

Hello,

can you increase the frame-relay fragment size 14 from the config for testing purposes? This is rather tough on CPU and doesn´t work without problems. Once you found it solves the problem then try something like 20 ms or 30 ms, depending on what a good compromise is between jitter for voip and performance of the interface. I once had this problem with 2610XM. They were also causing a much higher jitter than the configuration value suggested. Increasing the fragment size lowered (!) the jitter to acceptable values.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

All, the problem was solved by removing any fragmentation (disabling fragmentation) --> We found in one of the CCO documents that for links with BW higher than half the T1 bw there should be no fragmentation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094660.shtml#stpri

Thanks for your help.

All,

I am sorry but i still have a problem:

Everything looks OK when using a traffic generator (TfGen), but when using FTP it never peaks, is there any known problem for FTP with MLPPP.

I even tried per-packet load balancing with CEF, but FTP also intorduces problems, is there any known problems for FTP, with either CEF per-packet or MLPPP.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

FTP users TCP, with responds to congestion and dropped packets by dropping its transmission rate. Therefore, when using a single FTP connection, you will find that the effective throughput will alwyas be less than the line-rate. That is just how TCP works...

IF you try and run multiple FTP sessions, you will find that you start approaching the line rate. It's a good idea to implement some form of RED though.

I would not recommend that you disable CEF, as your performance will suffer.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card