cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MLPPP data rate transfert (FTP)

bernard.rocha
Level 1
Level 1

What is the maximum rate on a MLPPP link ?

ex for 2*E1 :

is it 4Mb ~480kbytes/s for one ftp session

or is it the speed of one E1 ~240Kbytes/s for one session but in this case we can have 2 sessions in parallel at the same time ?

THks

6 Replies 6

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

MLPPP will usually provide you with the combined bandwidth, i.e. 4Mb (less PPP-IP-TCP overhead).

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

In a MLPP with 4E1 I can have only the speed of one E1 but I can open 4 sessions in the same time at the same speed (~250Kbbytes). why I can not transfert a file (via FTP) at the speed of 8Mb which should be ~1000Kbytes/s

Do you have an idea ?

With TCP the actual throughput you get is dependendent on factors like maximum window size and the RTT (round trip time). If you can tell us the advertised window size of the file receiver and the RTT between the sender and receiver we can tell you (with reasonable accuracy) the maximum amount of throughput you should expect.

64k windows on the FTP client and a 17k windows on the FTP server

RTT is about 130ms

THx

With this client window size and the RTT the maximum throughput you can achieve is (RWIN/RTT) which in your case comes out to be approximately 492 Kbytes/s.

THKS a lot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card