cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Modal Bandwidth of Fiber

rais.ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

How do I determine the Modal Bandwidth of fiber? Is it something mentioned on the fiber itself?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

AFAIK it depends upon the slot where u hookup the fiber (either SFP or GBIC )which can tell u the B/W limit/range it can support upto.

regds

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

The question is a bit fuzzy (to me anyhow), but if it is listed as "9 (or 8.3)/) it's single mode fiber.

If it has "50/125" or "62.5/125" printed on the jacket, it's multi-mode fiber.

There are other sizes (especially for MM), but 50/125 and 62.5/125 are the most common, with 50/125 becoming more popular with the rollout of GigE over multi-mode.

Single mode also tends to be in a Canary Yellow jacketing, while multi-mode is frequently orange, but also comes in grey, black, and possibly other colors.

Single mode can carry more bandwidth farther without amplification. As a single bandwidth carrier, it commonly goes up to ~10Gig (OC192, 10Gig Ethernet) but could carry more.

As a carrier of a Wave Division Multiplexed (WDM, including Dense WDM - DWDM) signal, Single Mode can carry much more .... up to 64 channels, each channel carrying 2.4Gig to 10Gig (specs vary with the manufacturer of the WDM / DWDM).

Good Luck

Scott

johansens
Level 4
Level 4

Check the data specs of the fiber, or see if it's written on the fiber itself.. Look for a value like 160 Mhz*km (which is the standard value for multimode fiber).

I don't have a fiber in front of me, but IIRC it should be written on the fiber...

Did it help?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: