Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring Traffic from CLI

IM-Design
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a 1841 set up with 2 WAN links. Id like to confirm that both links are actively working.

What commands do I need to get familiar with to monitor this from the CLI?

TIA

5 Replies 5

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

You can simply use "sh interface" then you will get the result of the interface status. If it show "up up" then it means the interface is active. For further prove the interface is working, you have to ping to the remote end IP address (e.g. "ping x.x.x.x"). If you can successful ping, then the interface is active and working.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Just see the output of the command - 'Show ip int brief'. This should tell you the current status of your interfaces.

Also you can ping both the interfaces keeping the repeat rate on the higher side. YOu can do that by using extended ping.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

AbhisheK

Please rate all helpful posts!!!

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

You can even give command "test interface " and that will do the needful for you.

Regards

JD

You could also pop IP Accounting on the interface and do a "sh ip accouting" to see IP's talking and bytes moved. Or if you're after a bit more detail, then you could put on nbar protocol discovery to see what's going on in there.

Hope that helps,

LH

Please rate all posts

Agreed to use IP accounting will show the bytes move, I could like to share that it will spend lots of CPU process. If there is high througput at the IP accounting enabled interface, it will cause high CPU utilization.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card