Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPLS router requirements

Hello,

I'm putting in a 5 site Qwest MPLS network - T1 ports and the remotes and 3 x T1 at the host. I'll be using CISCO1841-T1 at the remote sites and a Cisco 2821 with qty. 2 VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 at the host. Cisco pre-sales told me that Cisco IOS Base was not sufficient and that I would need Cisco 2800 SP SERVICES 1 (S28NSPSK9-12411XW). I cannot find any documentation to back this up. Is this so? Thanks for the help.

David

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: MPLS router requirements

Are you planning to run any dynamic routing protocol in the 2800 router? If so, yes - you need something better than IOS Base.

__

Edison.

The plan is to "use GRE tunnels" to support multicast. Does this require the use of dynamic routing protocols? The network is a simple hub and spoke if this matters.

My basic question, the use of dynamic routing protocols aside, is "does using Cisco routers for an MPLS network require Cisco 2800 SP SERVICES 1 "S28NSPSK9-12411XW"?

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Does this require the use of dynamic routing protocols?

How are you planning to advertise your IP subnets ?

"does using Cisco routers for an MPLS network require Cisco 2800 SP SERVICES 1 "S28NSPSK9-12411XW"

It depends. If this router is going to be a CE router, then it needs BGP to the PE router. For BGP, you need a code such as SP Services, Advanced IP Services or Enterprise.

My suggestion is going to http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp, pick the features you need and see the codes available for that feature.

IP Base does not give you much.

__

Edison.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content