Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

MPLS TE

hi... is true the qos on mpls is by learning TE? i wonder why there is tunnel interface. would you please teach me. i dont have much time to learn at the thick book. i am proud to implement this if it benefits or just works at my medium size organization. wish me luck :)

• WAN Routing and Switching
3 REPLIES

Re: MPLS TE

I am not quite sure I understand your question. Here are my thoughts:

I believe you might be referring to DS-TE deployment over MPLS. Basically, the carrier traffic engineers based on diffserv markings. For example, the carrier might send your voice traffic over a Label Switch Path (LSP) that has characteristics that are unique to good voice performance.

An excellent reference is a book entitled

Definitive MPLS Network Designs from Cisco Press.

As for you tunnel question--what type of tunnel interface are you referring to?

HTH.

thx walleyewiz, i am not sure what type of tunnel interface. are there many kinds? what are they? what configuration tasks added regarding to use different lsp for voice. does it implement tunnel? is this tunnel ipip/gre? fix me if wrong.. tx :)

There are a lot of tunnels. Probably the one you are dealing with is a GRE tunnel. GRE stands for Generic Route Encapsulation. If you look at your configuration and you see a tunnel interface, it is a GRE tunnel. As for the different ways to handle voice, you should talk to your MPLS provider. I just use QoS and then map it to the provider's QoS. Are you using a provider for MPLS?

You can implement tunnels over an MPLS network, but I would recommend just peering up with your provider using a routing protocol they support and not using tunnels.

HTH.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.