Helpful
Replies

Mulicast and RPF

tahseen12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I want to discuss a scenario.

lets say I have 2 paths to Mcast source or RP and I don't enable pim on the lower cost path,would my Mcast will work or it will not due to RPF failure.

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mohammad,

multicast packets should be dropped for RPF check failure.

You can have troubles also with equal path costs because unicast routing support them but RPF elects only one link as the best one (no parallel links support)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe

Ya with equal path costs it will select the RPF interface with higher ip address to the neigbor.

My concern was if we don;t enable pim on lower cost path and enable pim on higher cost path,it should not work due to RPF check.Just brainstorming:)Thats why pim shouild be enabled on all interfaces to avoid RPF check failures.

Moreover we can use tunnel to use both the links with ip mroute.

Hello Mohammad,

yes the GRE tunnel is the classic solution for two equal cost paths with pim not enabled on physical links.

In your original scenario it should be enough to enable pim on the unicast best path if possible.

The higher cost path will be used when the primary path fails

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe

The higher cost path will be used when the primary path fails

only in case if i enable pim as well on higher cost path.

Giuseppe,

Just to add that ss far as the equal cost past scenario is concerned, you could enable "ip multicast multipath" to get load splitting across these multiple paths.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello Harold,

thanks for this useful information.

I see this is not quite new and it is given in global configuration mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/command/reference/imc_03.html#wp1015944

It is still a flow based load balancing using S,G or S,G and ip next-hop to decide which link to use.

We can say it emulates unicast CEF load balancing and allows to relax the RPF check on equal cost paths.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: