Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Multi Link PPP on ADSL

hello,

I want to configure MULTI LINK PPP for my two ADSL connection... i have two different ISP connection of ADSL and both the ISP had provided me their ADSL router... now from ISP router i have two ethernet cable to use internet for my user... now MLPP can be configured only on point to point link and i have ethernet connection... now i want to utilise both the isp connection to allow access to my internal user using both the link... now which CISCO router should i use in order to utilise both the ISP ethernet connection (come through ADSL router of ISP)... and what will be the configuration please help me to resolve this issue

dporter

1 REPLY
Gold

Re: Multi Link PPP on ADSL

You need to configure multilink ppp on both ends. This means in effect you cannot use 2 differnt ISP on the far end since the data must be recombined back together and the 2 isp's do not talk to each other.

It gets very complex when you try to do this without a routing protocol. The only way to truely do this is by running BGP between your ISP's but since you are using ADSL it is unlikely this is a option.

It is hard to even begin to discuss all the issues. If you look at other posts in this forum you will see many discussions of design using multiple DSL connections.

Your main problems will be that you cannot load balance the incoming traffic and you more than likely have different IP pools from the ISP's and the NAT issues that causes.

Views
Helpful
Replies