Helpful
Replies

Multicast 6509 Switch

clark white
Level 2
Level 2

Dear's

Attached is the drawing.

I am facing a problem in multicast on Distributon A switch which is not joining any multicast group. Distribution B is working fine towards the core and downstream towards the access and the access switch below is transmitting video in vlan 20.

Core A is the RP for all the groups and the IP PIM SPARSE mode  is enable every where the multicast traffic is suppose to flow and also on int vlan 20 on distrbution which is for the IPTV on the access switches.

The route from Dist to source is perfect.

Any hints where things are going wrong

7 Replies 7

clark white
Level 2
Level 2

Dear,

Anybody can put some shade on the above problem.

Hi clark,

Hope you are doing well.Are you running HSRP on Vlan 20.

Can you put output of sh ip rpf on both switches

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish Shirkar

Dear

yes i am doing VRRP between the switches, i can provide you the RPF output becauze i am not in office,

but what i came to know that if i shut the redundant path from Distribution swithces the streams are coming perfect.

Hi Clark ,

While handling multicast related cases ,I have seen most of the time on LAN segment multicast Asserter plays important role.On lan Segment one of your router must be forwarder on following criteria,

1. The router with the lowest administrative distance to the source of the multicast stream will be the elected PIM forwarder.  This only happens if you are using two routing protocols or if you used  a static route pointing to the source.
  2. If the AD is equal we will compare the unicast routing metric towards the source.
  3. If the AD and metric are both the same we will elect the PIM forwarded based on the highest IP address.

So check which router is ur forwarder, you can use following command to check.

sh ip mroute x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

x.x.x.x = Source IP

y.y.y.y = group IP

Then check RPF on your Forward using sh ip rpf and see whether it is showing fine or not .

Regards,

Ashish Shirkar

Dear,

I have issues in 2 floor 1 and floor ,same as the diagram i provided before there i am receiving 1 or 2 groups when i execute show ip mroute ,, also additional more 4900A and 4900B switches connecting to Core routers for floor 2, In that switches when i execute sh ip mroute, nothing comes up in the routing table.

Routing protocol what i am using is OSPF only there is no other routing protocol. The RPF also shows perfect that is core 1 where the source is conected

when i do show ip mroute on distribution of it shows me

sh ip mroute x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

This x.x.x.x must be reacheable by the switch where i am receiving the route???

I have another floors where the group is seen as x.x.x.x y.y.y.y where the x.x.x.x is not recheable but still the IPTV is working perfect.

Thanks

Please post the multicast routing table for proper analysis. Without it, we are simply guessing.

For the switches missing the multicast table, make sure you've enabled multicast routing.

First make sure you have unicast connectivity from client to server. try to ping MC server from client.

1). you may need to disable ip igmp snooping on swich by addning a command " no ip igmp snooping vlan xx"

2). TTL value on server

if possibe try to send sh ip mroute command output

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card