Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast issue

m.elmaaroufi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all;

i want to implement Multicast SM into an architecture with 2 CE Cisco 1841, i did the configuration as mentionned in the Cisco Documentation, and i realize the registration in the Multicast Group 224.1.1.1 with one RP, but when i initiate a multicast traffic from a machine source i did not receive it in the machine destination, for more details i implement IGMP between CE and machine PC, and PIM between routers,

please note that the others PE are Juniper, you can find a traces attached to this mail

best regards

Med

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HI

first of all the bellow command is needed at all and you have to remove it from both routers

ip igmp join-group 224.1.1.1

however if you want to make sure that the ISP and your routers passing mcast traffic you can do the follwoing

add the above command under the lan interface of the CE2

ping the group address 224.1.1.1 and source the ping from the lan interface you have to recive a reply from CE1 to make sure your mcast working

another issue you have in your config is the bellow static muticast route

ip mroute 192.168.10.10 255.255.255.255 10.43.54.70

This need to be removed you dont need this in your topology this is needed only if you have the source of the multicast reachable via multiple interfaces and the unicast routing using another interface ( RPF check)

in your case i am assuming if you do show ip route all the routing in your routing table has a next hop of the PE 2 ip address 10.43.54.65

if you want a static multicast route you can use the bellow

ip mroute 192.168.10.10 255.255.255.255 10.43.54.65  -- PE 2

again its not required

try to make the changes above then do the ping of mcast group as described above

by the way your server ( the source) supposed to send the traffic to 224.1.1.1

the receiver need to join this group inorder to recieve that traffic

good luck

if helpful Rate

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

can you please post a simple diagram describing the source and receiver of mcast traffic

with copy of both routers multicasting config

Hi Marwan;

and thank you for your feedback, my architecture and configuration are attached to this mail

best regards

Med

and for the architecture is like this:

HI

first of all the bellow command is needed at all and you have to remove it from both routers

ip igmp join-group 224.1.1.1

however if you want to make sure that the ISP and your routers passing mcast traffic you can do the follwoing

add the above command under the lan interface of the CE2

ping the group address 224.1.1.1 and source the ping from the lan interface you have to recive a reply from CE1 to make sure your mcast working

another issue you have in your config is the bellow static muticast route

ip mroute 192.168.10.10 255.255.255.255 10.43.54.70

This need to be removed you dont need this in your topology this is needed only if you have the source of the multicast reachable via multiple interfaces and the unicast routing using another interface ( RPF check)

in your case i am assuming if you do show ip route all the routing in your routing table has a next hop of the PE 2 ip address 10.43.54.65

if you want a static multicast route you can use the bellow

ip mroute 192.168.10.10 255.255.255.255 10.43.54.65  -- PE 2

again its not required

try to make the changes above then do the ping of mcast group as described above

by the way your server ( the source) supposed to send the traffic to 224.1.1.1

the receiver need to join this group inorder to recieve that traffic

good luck

if helpful Rate

Hi and thank you for your precious help

best regards;

Med

i glad that your issue has been fixed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card