Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast on a switch

drojasug33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm planning to make an experimental IPTV network. I was thinking about having the clients and the video server on the same switch. I was wondering what benefits can I get with multicast in this scenario. I've read about multicast deployed in scenarios with more than one router, that scenarios make sense to me, but multicast with one switch, I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards,

Daniel

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Daniel,

It would work on one switch but if you have a couple routers to add to your design you can then experiment with Multicast routing protocols ie PIM Dense mode, PIM Sparce Mode, DVMRP, deploy RPs, etc....

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

Hi,

I had once a while deployed Multicast for IPTV on 4500 switch. The main benefit we get is IGMP snooping feature on a switch compared to Router. As you STB or hosts receiving the Mulitcast are on the switch. The Switch intercepts every IGMP query message and populates where the receiver are located on the switch and creates an IGMP snooping table. so it will not flood out Multicast out on unnecessary ports. also when it intercepts IGMP leave message it will remove the receiver from IGMP snooping list.

Hope this answers your question

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Daniel,

It would work on one switch but if you have a couple routers to add to your design you can then experiment with Multicast routing protocols ie PIM Dense mode, PIM Sparce Mode, DVMRP, deploy RPs, etc....

HTH

Reza

Thanks a lot for your answer. Sorry if I didn't explain myself well. I want to know if there are real benefits by using multicast on a switch. If theres a real savings in bandwith.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi,

I had once a while deployed Multicast for IPTV on 4500 switch. The main benefit we get is IGMP snooping feature on a switch compared to Router. As you STB or hosts receiving the Mulitcast are on the switch. The Switch intercepts every IGMP query message and populates where the receiver are located on the switch and creates an IGMP snooping table. so it will not flood out Multicast out on unnecessary ports. also when it intercepts IGMP leave message it will remove the receiver from IGMP snooping list.

Hope this answers your question

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts.

Thanks a lot for your help. I get it now. I will be making some tests.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card