cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast on Cisco 1760 Router

sccadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I am curently trying to configure multicast across a T1 WAN link.  One end has a Cisco 1760 modular router with the following partial output from show version command:

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(4r)XL, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ro-cos-01-01 uptime is 9 weeks, 4 days, 6 hours, 28 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c1700-y-mz.124-17.bin"

Cisco 1760 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x200) with 55706K/9830K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID VMS06220E9N (86775311), with hardware revision BB67

MPC860P processor: part number 5, mask 2

1 FastEthernet interface

1 Serial interface

WIC T1-DSU

32K bytes of NVRAM.

49152K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Again, the goal is to get multicast configured but when I try to enter ip multicast-routing command at (config) interface it indicates command not found.  I get the same thing when I try to input any type of interface "ip pim" command.  My assumption is that this IOS and/or router does not support multicating but I cannot find a document that seems to state if it does or doesn't.  I find documents indicating (I think) that it does support some type of mutlcast boundary fitering which I am not familar with because I am relatively new to configuring multicast.  I have only setup up multicast between about 7 or 8 buildings over routed links so not much experience at this.  In short, any guidance would be appreciated.  This particular router is not under smartnet any longer so I can't download IOS, but I would like to confirm that the IOS really doesn't support multicasting but if it does, find out what I am doing wrong in terms of configuring it.  Any help will be gladly appreciated.  I should say that the ultimate goal is to setup multicast sparse mode between this satelite campus and the main campus.  This is a routed link but purely static routing in this instance.

Thanks again.

7 Replies 7

jawad-mukhtar
Level 4
Level 4

It's Not supported in this IOS Version.

Jawad

Jawad

You can enable IP multicast here, provided the Cisco 1700 is  using IOS  version with a PLUS feature set e.g IP PLUS or ENTERPRISE PLUS. Cisco  1700 support multicast but not available in IP only version. You need  the plus feature set to enable multicast in  Cisco 1700 series Router.

***Do Rate All Helpful Posts***

Jawad

Jawad

Thank you, Jawad.  That is what I was afraid of.  This particular router is EOL I believe and we do not have it under smartnet.  Do you know if there is a way to legally obtain an IOS version high enough to support multicast?  Will Cisco sell a single IOS version?

Thanks very much for the help

Jeff

Your will need a smarnet account for that or if you have purchased that from Cisco Gold Certified Partner, you can ask them to arrainge for you.

***Do Rate Helpful Posts***

Jawad

Jawad

Jawad Mukhtar wrote:

Your will need a smarnet account for that or if you have purchased that from Cisco Gold Certified Partner, you can ask them to arrainge for you.

It is not possible to buy support contract for old products that are End of Support.

OP best choice is to get a new router anway

Agree but Cisco Gold certified partners have samrtnet account they can download firmware for any device. What i think so.

Jawad

Jawad

Jawad Mukhtar wrote:

Agree but Cisco Gold certified partners have samrtnet account they can download firmware for any device. What i think so.

Before, any support contract holder could download anything. It is not like that anymore.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco