Helpful
Replies

Multicast Routing

rh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @ all,

i have a Cisco 4500 with Sup 7.

I need Multicast Routing between VLan 2 and VLan 3 and a seperated VLan Routing beween VLan 4, VLan 5, VLan 6 ..

What´s the Config that i need for this ? .. can anyone help ?

Thanks a lot

1 Reply 1

Hi , 

What is your end requirement for multicast  , Based on your requirement PIM must be enabled between VLAN 2 & VLAN 3. 

Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) is used among hosts on a LAN and the routers (and multilayer switches) on that LAN to track the multicast groups of which hosts are members.

Protocol-Independent Multicast (PIM) protocol is used among routers and multilayer switches to track which multicast packets to forward to each other and to their directly connected LANs.

Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol (DVMRP) is used on the multicast backbone of the Internet (MBONE). The software supports PIM-to-DVMRP interaction.

Cisco Group Management Protocol (CGMP) is used on Cisco routers and multilayer switches connected to Layer 2 Catalyst switches to perform tasks similar to those performed by IGMP.

HTH

Sandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card