Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast RPF check question

Umesh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a question withh regards to the multicast RPF check feature, it says that in PIM - DM whenever the router receives a multicast packet on its PIM enabled interface it does an RPF check to make sure that the interface is the best path towards the source;s unicast address. If ths condition is not met RPF check fails . I have a question that relates to this feature, suppose in the diagram below R3 is the router on which gig 0/2 interface has PIM enabled and has a PIM neighbor R2. Gig 0/1 does not have PIM enabled but this interface is is the best route towards the mcast source 10.10.10.10. When the source sends the mcast packest R3 only receives them on Gig 0/2 which does not fulfill the RPF check, but the interface which should be the RPF interface will never receive mcast packets becasue PIM is not enabled. What will happen in this scenario ? Will this router never be able to forward Multicast packets to the other adjoining routers becasue it fails the RPF check.       

Mcast RPF query.jpg

Thanks in Advance

Umesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As far as I reckon yes you're correct but you could be configuring a static mroute to solve the problem.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As far as I reckon yes you're correct but you could be configuring a static mroute to solve the problem.

Regards

Alain

Thnx Alain, You solved the problem.

Regards

Umesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco