cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multilink DS3s together?

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I am wondering if it is possible to multilink two DS3s together to get a total of 90Mbps for a link?

We have a single DS3 point to point to our DR site and I was wondering if you can multilink two together the same way you can with T1 lines?

We have a 7206 in our HQ site and We would need to upgrade our DR router as it is currently a 3275, but can it be done?

6 Replies 6

keegan.holley
Level 1
Level 1

Although I've never seen it in the wild I'm not aware of any limitations in mlppp that would prevent you from doing this. Have you looked into metro-e? Sometimes metro-e can be cheaper than TDM circuits depending on the carrier and the distance it travels.

Yes,

I did look at the metro-e:

$33,000 for 50Mbps from Verizon, we are paying $4,000 for the DS3 at about 45 Mbps monthly.

chercom
Level 1
Level 1

I could not get my MLPP to work with two ds3s. I opened a TAC case on this issue I was told it will not work but later the tac engineer said that he had seen it worked before. I am told that mlppp is really used when you are trying to cut cost by using multiple t1 instead of a ds3;break-even point is about 9t1 but really depends on how much the t1s cost. Bottom line I didn't bundle them. I let cef load balance them and I changed the load balancing scheme to be per packet instead of per session. It may cause you a problem if you data is running over a udp transport. Works fine for my application.

Just out of curiosity, did he mention why it didn't work? I'm not aware of anyting in PPP that would cause it not to work, but I've never seen it done either.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I heard people able to perform MLPPP at least up to 2xDS3. I think both end should have the same DS3 Module capability - i.e. runs in full-duplex (full-rate) or half-duplex (sub-rate). Also, the router should support MLPPP with no platform specific restriction. 7200 supports MLPP with no platform specific restriction.

Anyway, you can either use CEF, OSPF, EIGRP, or BGP to load-balance the two links.

Regards,

Dandy

As mentioned, I've never seen this (2xDS + MLPPP) in the wild, but I have had good look with load-balancing across two DS3s with CEF and IS-IS.

You might try 'ip load-sharing per-packet' to even out the traffic across the DS3s, but I've experienced problems with that setup and VoIP in the past.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: