Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gold

multiple default routes possible?

12.3(17a) on a 3660...

I have two T1's going to this router, one for sprint, one for AT&T. I want to have the main default route (for networks not learned thru bgp) going out sprint. If the sprint circuit fails i want a default route to take over going to AT&T. something like the following:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.2.3.4 (sprint)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 5.6.7.8 255 (at&t)

Will this work? will there be any side effects i should be aware of?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Purple

Re: multiple default routes possible?

Hello Ankur,

That is true, but that is what the original poster was after. He wanted that second default to kick in only when the primary default was down. You can achieve that by making the AD for that second route higher. However, a route of AD 255 will never be installed in the routing table whereas a route wtih an AD lower than 255 will.

Hope that helps,

Paresh

7 REPLIES
Purple

Hi,

Your idea is right and it will work except for one thing. If you assign an AD of 255, the static route will not be installed into the routing table. Use something like 250 and it should work.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Regards,

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

What I think even if the AD will be 250 still this route will not be installed in the routing table because this is not the best default route.

Yes if the sprint link goes down then this route will be installed in the routing table.

Can you please confirm?

Regards,

Ankur

Purple

Hello Ankur,

That is true, but that is what the original poster was after. He wanted that second default to kick in only when the primary default was down. You can achieve that by making the AD for that second route higher. However, a route of AD 255 will never be installed in the routing table whereas a route wtih an AD lower than 255 will.

Hope that helps,

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

Yes thats correct!! Thanks anyways

Regards,

Ankur

Gold

thanks for quick responses all...

I'm planning to use multiple T1's for my perimeter router.

I also have a PIX Firewall that I'm using for the VPN with the central office it is behind the perimeter router. My question is the tunnel will work with any active connection?

Thanks.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

dywer

As long as the VPN peer address (and I assume from your message that this address is on the PIX) is reachable the VPN should work. The PIX will get a packet from the router with a source address of the remote device. The PIX will not know - nor would it care - which link it passed over to get to the router.

So it should be no problem for your PIX to terminate VPN tunnels and be behind a router with multiple links to the service provider.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content