cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Routes with 2811

dns-admin
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to establish if a 2811 has the ability to manage and route traffic via 2 connections.

We currently host a number of hosts in a datacentre and the defualt route is provided via an ethernet connection. We would now like to include a second inbound link that also terminates on a seperate ethernet port. We provide 4 wan links to branch offices.

We would like to provide routing to services over the second link. Both links have full internet connectivity.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Antony

Without more details it is difficult to give you a full answer but if what you are trying to do is route certain traffic over one of the links and other traffic over the second link then you need to look into Policy Based Routing (PBR) which allows you to do just this.

Attached is a white paper explaining PBR.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6599/products_white_paper09186a00800a4409.shtml

Jon

Hi Jon,

I anticipate having to inbound ranges ie 196.a.b.c from one isp and a second 196.x.y.z from a second provider. Both are provided by ethernet connection.

I would like pass both through my firewall and then onto my internal server. I would like to have the return packet then be sent down the same link that the inbound packet was received on.

An example : A single radius server is hosted behind my Firewall.

A packet comes to the radius server on range A through the firewall and a reply is set back via the firewall to the router and back down link A. Similaly a packet via link B to the ip on range B nat'ed to the same internal server via the firewall be returned to the router and then back down link B.

If it makes more sense, i am happy to upgrade the router ios to include the security/firewall software rather than use a seperate firewall.

I think it would be some sort of solution utilising source-based routing, but not from the inside as in figure 2 of the mentioned white paper?

Thanks for the quick reply

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: