Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Serial interface on Router

nimalrajphilips
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a requirement of connecting 21 serial interface to a Cisco Router. How can I acheive this?

Basically, We have 21 Satellite modems which has serial interface at LAN side. I want to connect them to a single router. Can i connect 6 numbers 4-port Cisco Serial modules connected to any Cisco Router and acheive this? If the, what are the models i have to use?

If not, how can i acheive this?

BR

Nimalraj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nimalraj,

I have personally used 2811 with 2 of these hwics , so if it helps, two definately works with no problem

sorry i cannot give you confirmation on 3rd.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Julio Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

you could use 2921 routers and HWIC-4T

its not good to have everything on 1 router when you are connecting to 21 serial connections.

have 2 x  cisco 2921   -- with 3 x HWIC-4T on each

this should give you 24 serial capacity total  , and interconnect the 2921 with a cat 6 cable for gig-e connectivity between them.

Note : if you are doing vpn/ipsec , you need buy the license on 2921 too to unlock it with activation key, like how you upgrade a firewall license.

Hello Rob,

I was thinking about a similar option. I thought to use 5 x HWIC-4T and 1 X HWIC-1T. I have two options.

1. Cant i use any of the 2800 series router? Will there be any issue on HWIC support. As per the following link, HWIC-4T is upported by 2800 series

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/ps6182/product_data_sheet0900aecd80274416.html

2. Are there any limitation on using 12 or 16 serial port on single router..?

Regards

Nimalraj

Hi Nimalraj,

I have personally used 2811 with 2 of these hwics , so if it helps, two definately works with no problem

sorry i cannot give you confirmation on 3rd.

Hello,

thanks alot for the confirmation.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card