Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple T1 connections

kmrogers1975
Level 1
Level 1

This is my problem,

Your company has recently decided to network its three WAN locations together. Each LAN has approximately 100 users, and a fractional T1 line has been recommended via a Frame Relay connection While these locations are all in the same state, they are separated by a large geographical distance. Spec out the hardware that your company will want to purchase, and explain how this will be designed.

I have 3 locations, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego. Los Angeles will be the headquarters. San Diego will communicate with San Francisco thru Los Angeles and vice versa.I know I need a router that supports T1 at each location. However, does the router in LA need to have 2 separate T1 ports for SF and SD? Or is there other harware I need for this connection?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

apaxson
Level 1
Level 1

It depends on how you are building your WAN. If it's a Frame Relay cloud, as you mentioned in your first paragraph, then you only need 1 T1 card for your entry into the cloud at your LA site.

Since this is frame relay, there will be no need to send traffic from SD to SF, via LA. All three sites are connected to the cloud, and therefore, all three sites can communicate directly with one another.

You can configure your LA router to route between the other two sites, but this would add extra configuration to your remote sites, and add extra processing power to your LA router, for no reason.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

apaxson
Level 1
Level 1

It depends on how you are building your WAN. If it's a Frame Relay cloud, as you mentioned in your first paragraph, then you only need 1 T1 card for your entry into the cloud at your LA site.

Since this is frame relay, there will be no need to send traffic from SD to SF, via LA. All three sites are connected to the cloud, and therefore, all three sites can communicate directly with one another.

You can configure your LA router to route between the other two sites, but this would add extra configuration to your remote sites, and add extra processing power to your LA router, for no reason.

I hope this helps!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card