Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiplexing with a router

joyride_us
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to multiplex data and switched-voice traffic over an E1, like allocating 6 time-slots of the E1 to data and the rest to calls.

The calls are primarily coming from another E1 of an ISDN switch.

Is this possible ?

Thank you

10 Replies 10

Hello,

that should work, unless you have a VWIC-1MFT-E1 card, which does not support data connections.

Are you running into a specific problem ?

Regards,

GP

Hi,

I am still at the design phase but eventually, I will have to make it work if I report that this is the best way to go! (which it is if it works!).

But I was wondering about 2 things :

1. how is the call routing done : my router is connected to many sites through many leased E1 lines and it needs to route the incoming calls (from the ISDN switch) towards the proper site...I guess the configuration of the serial line will determine which number is going through which line ?

2. I will connect the E1 from the ISDN switch to my router on one E1 port and connect the destination E1 on other E1 ports..the router will detect an incoming call on a line and route it properly? Is this what the physical configuration is going to look like ? Many phone numbers are involved : this is going to be a big call routing table, or am I far off?

Thank you.

Hello,

the data and voice calls will be routed according to the configured dial-peers (for voice) and dialer interfaces (for data). For the voice, you need to configure pri-groups on your E1, and for the data, channel-groups.

You might want to have a look at the document below:

Understanding Support for Voice and Data on 2600/3600 Series Routers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a0080100688.shtml

Does that answer your question ?

Regards,

GP

Hi,

thank you for the answer. Although I cannot read the document (no CCO account!) - I badly wish I could- I just feel better about diving into this problem knowing that this will probably work!

HI,

exactly what I was looking for! (a bit more complex than I thought though! But I should not be able to miss with the help of that document!)

Thank you

Great link!

One caveat/point not mentioned in the doc; you cannot place channel-grouped or tdm-grouped channels between pri b-channels and d-channel.

For example, you cannot do the following:

controller e1 1/0

pri-group timeslots 1-10,16

channel-group 1 timeslots 11-15 speed 64

But you can do:

controller e1 1/0

pri-group timeslots 1-10,16

channel-group 1 timeslots 27-31 speed 64

HTH

Thanks! Interesting too, I was planning to have my ISDN timeslots at the bottom of the link anyway (15 to 30) as advised by one of you in this conversation!

Thanks to all! Keep on posting extra info if you have! Everything is interesting to me!

michael_davis
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Take a look at this netpro thread.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=IP%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dd93e71

It sounds like something similar to what you are looking for. It is sort of like a drop & insert approach. Basically, you designate certain channels for hdlc (a serialx/x interface is created for data), and the rest are used as a channelized PRI (another serial isdn interface & voice-port are created)

I was able to do this with T1. The hardware and config details are in the thread. But I don't have any E1s handy to test with, but I gotta wonder if it is possible. The only caveat with T1 is that the d-channel must be part of a contiguous pri-group.

obviously, d-channel placement is different for E1-PRI. You might do well to take this up with TAC to see if it is supported in E1.

Another approach for separate dial-up and voice treatement in AS5xxx Universal gateways is called "Fine-Grain Address Segmentation in Dial Peers." This approach entails assigning a special application called "data_dialpeer" to match inbound against modem-only DNIS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/univgate/ps501/products_tech_note09186a00800a6dca.shtml

Let me know if this helps by rating the post.

Thanks. I guess next step is to set up a test environment but I feel more and more confident about it!

By the way, I assume MLPP and MC-MLPP would no problem there ?

Jef

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card