Views
Helpful
Replies

Mutlilink PPP using T1 circuits

ajurkevich
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Forum,

This my first time here, so pls forgive me if I missed something . . .

I have some questions listed here:

1) If we would be linking 3 T1 circuits, what is the best choice for a router and how much memory should it have, etc. (We're thinking about a 2811 series router, 2 dual WIC cards, etc.)?

2) We only have 1 location, and 3 T1 circuits coming to us from our ISP (Verizon) which will terminate at our single router. What is the best way to setup multilink ppp? Could you provide configuration examples?

3) In your opinion, would we have to work with our ISP (Verizon) to have them setup a certain configuration on their end (as opposed to just an ordinary setup (i.e., three T1 circuits coming in to our location, each with its own ip address and subnet mask, etc.). We already have a routable block of ip addresses that we are currently using.

Any help that you can provide would be great.

Thanks,

Alex

1 Reply 1

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

This link will get you started.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804a40f9.html

Your ISP needs to also run multilink PPP. Talk to them but most allow this but some prefer other layer 2 solutions.

The isp in most cases can give you a sample configuration since many use cisco routers or at least know them very well.

You will not get good results if you attempt to load balance over multiple layer 3 links

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card