cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT inside global

Just Kennie
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to NAT my inside local address to outside global. MUST I assign an address from the inside global to an interface before it works?

6 Replies 6

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Just,

I think you are mixing concepts here.

The inside local address is the private ip address of a host inside your network.

The outside global address is the public ip address of a target host on the outside network, e.g. on the Internet.

I suppose you wanted to translate the inside local address to an inside global address.

The inside global address is a public ip address that your company was assigned to use on the Internet.

For translation from inside local to inside global you can use the ip address of the interface on which you configured "ip nat outside", or you can use a different public ip address.

The key is that your ISP must be able to route packets to that public ip address (to your inside global address).

Cheers:

Istvan

I understand, please my question is must I assign one of the inside global to an (outside)interface before it works.

Hi

The interface, which you are connecting to the global Network, should be configured with the Global IP address (outside)and private IP should be NAT through this device only.

You know better about your network connectivity

No, not necessarily.

Hi Bevilacqua,

No for interface IP or NAT (or BOTH)

If you do not mind, please throw some light how it will work? (Connecting to global network with private IP) is I missing out any thing!

I do not understand your question. If it is unrelated to the question here, open a new thread and explain.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: