Helpful
Replies

NAT Query

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I'm wondering -

If I have the following - Site A and Site B separated by WAN connection say MPLS.

Site B has no Internet connection / or associated External IP addresses.

Site A does have Internet Breakout / External addresses.

Is it possible for me to setup an inbound NAT at site A for a LAN address at Site B to be accessible externally?

Or do NATs have to be used locally to the site the external address terminate at?

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no requirement for NAT to be local to the site.

As long as the real IP is routable from site A then it should work fine.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

And it's all setup in exact the same way as If it was a NAT for a local address? Nothing special needed? Apart from the routing in place?

Nothing special needed.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Apologies digging up this one again -

If someone externally communicates to the inside Server address at Site B through the NAT from site A's external addressing. How is the return traffic from Site B address handled? Would Site B need to have a default route pointing to Site A to be able to get out to the Internet from Inside to Out?

E.G - External Static Nat at Site A for a host in Site B (Sites separated via MPLS WAN). 

Someone from Outside contacts the external address - it hits Site A NAT which routes to inside address at Side B. 
For Site B to then communicate back - does this need to know where the public address space sits and have a route to it through Site A.

Hello

You can nat from an public routable outside ip address to a none routable inside address

Stie A

ip nat outside static (site B public ip) (site A private ip)

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card