cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT Question

salterinc
Level 1
Level 1

I am using NAT for my mail server, but when I check my IP address from my mail server using http://www.whatismyip.com/ my address shows up as my routers WAN IP. Need to correct this because my routers WAN IP sometimes ends up on RBL lists. ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.3 71.162.x.x route-map SDM_RMAP_1 Any help is greatly appreciated!!

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is normal, and there is NO alternative.

You CAN NOT use private addresses on the Internet.

salterinc
Level 1
Level 1

I am totally aware of that Paolo. I guess I did not make my question clear enough. I need the return address to be the NAT'ed address INSTEAD of my routers IP. For example.... router ip 71.124.33.1 Mail server 71.124.33.2 nat inside source static 192.168.1.3  71.124.33.2 route-map SDM_RMAP_1 Is clearer?

No, not at all.

Ok,

Are you using NAT? If so, go to a server using NAT.

From your browser, go to  http://www.whatismyip.com What IP is displayed?

Your ROUTERS IP ADDRESS or the SERVERS PUBLIC IP ADDRESS?

Sorry, I do not understand what point are you trying to make.

I found problem.

I needed to remove "route-map SDM_RMAP_1" because it was forcing it to use the IP address on my WAN interface instead of 65.2.5.3.

ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.4 65.2.5.3 route-map SDM_RMAP_1

route-map SDM_RMAP_1 permit 1

match ip address 104

match interface FastEthernet0

Thanks anyways.

There is no need to use a route-map for the above.

Static NAT is sufficient.

At one point I did need it because I was having routing issues between VPN subnets. But a while back we upgraded to ver 12.4.15-T3 from a very early version and I think that may have impacted this.

I have router with multiple WAN interfaces, VPN connection to multiple sites and special settings. Not a simple configuration by all means.

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card