Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

NAT server as a router?

Greetings everyone!

I have the following issue: I want to configure a computer to act as a NAT server for a small network i have (about 30 machines). I need some of them to connect to Internet. I have been searching info about NAT and i read that this protocol has routing capabilities, is that true? If not i guess i should get a router which is the obvious choice but i also want to test some algorithms i've been working on (that's a whole other issue) and i wanned to do it in a router because they are Active Queue Management algorithms. Anyways, does a NaT server handles queue management also?

I think it doesnt but im not really sure, that's why i ask :P

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: NAT server as a router?

Jose

NAT is not really a protocol as such and it doesn't have any inbuilt routing functionality. If you can configure a computer as a NAT server which i haven't heard of, whether or not it can route i would say is independent of NAT. Certainly a computer with 2 NICS in it can be told to route between the 2.

If you want a device that routes/NAT/queue management (presumably QOS) then that device would generally be a router. But there are router emulators such as Dynamips which would run on a PC.

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content