Helpful
Replies

NAT using public IP on LAN side

Mauro Antivero
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to all.

I'm trying to configure NAT in the following toplogy:

Edge router (private network A) ------ (private network A) CiscoRouter (private network B and public network A) ------ Servers in the private nertwork B and servers in the public network A

If I configure a server in the "public network A" (IP, default GW and DNS) I can access the Internet, all fine. But now I need to configure a server in the "private network B" and do NAT in CiscoRouter to access Internet.

The problem as you can see is that I don't have a public IP Addres in the "WAN side" of the CiscoRouter, which would be the typical case of a home router NAT.

I really don't know if I can do this in a Cisco router, but in a Linux router is perfectly possible. I have the same scenario in a Linux router working perfectly.

In my case I need this two networks (private network B and public network A) to be on the "LAN side" of CiscoRouter because I need some server with private address and NAT to access the Internet and some others with public IP and direct access to/from the Internet.

Can you help me please? Do you need some network scheme to clarify?

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards.

Mauro.

2 Replies 2

Hi Mauro,

If I got correctly you question, you would do it with a similar static nat statement, assuming you have all other nat required configurations set correctly:

ip nat inside source static tcp <private-ip-address> 80 <public-ip-address> 80

Example:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.1 80 1.1.1.1 80

Regards,

Aref

Mukesh Kumar
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Mauro

Can you please explain your network design clearly?

Regards,
Mukesh Kumar
Network Engineer
Spooster IT Services

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card