Views
Helpful
Replies

Need a VLAN solution between WAN sites

sleepyshark
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings Team -

I am working on a small network and have some specific needs.  I have excellent Cisco experience (especially in MPLS/Metro networks) but I am in need of guidance on this particular issue.

NEEDS:  Company wants to be able to share VLANs from either site between sites.

REASON:  I am validating their BC/DR plan, and as-is there are heavy routing changes which need to be made manually to bring up the DR site's VLAN102 and VLAN104.  Both sites have identical VMware hosts and SAN's and data s replicated to the DR site in [near] real-time.  Having the ability to have the DR site operate on a working VLAN102 and VLAN104 would GREATLY speed up the fail-over process.

BACKGROUND:

• Both sites have 10mb/10mb Fiber connections through different carriers (no, they can't consolidate into one carrier - at this time)
  • Both sides are connected via L3 VPN tunnels - NO L2 traffic passes the edge
  • CORE switches are 4500 series switches with redundant SUP2+ modules
  • Distribution switches are 3560-PoE switches with PaGP links back to the CORE
  • Firewalls are 2 x Sonicwall NSA-2400's at each site with HA
  • No, I can't see the other side using "sh cdp neighbors" only equipment within the site

VLAN_infrastructure.jpg

MY IDEAS:

I'm thinking VRF-lite would suffice for this - but need some guidance on if anyone can make this easier and/or less complicated?

I am open to suggestions!

Thanks,

Sean Brown (sean@sleepyshark.com)

voice: 212.760.1700 x7001

Wanna learn more about me? Check out my bio

Follow me on LinkedIn

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Have you looked at Local Area Mobility?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Have you looked at Local Area Mobility?

I am not overly sure Local Area Mobility would be the correct solution for this.  We are not looking for user mobility, simply we are looking the ability to continue to function seamlessly if one entire site catastrophically disappears.

Additionally, having the ability for our VLAN's to appear at both sites simultaneously is key (essentially so our mission critical servers can be started FIRST, and other servers can come up as replication finishes).

That being said, is LAM going to function properly if one site is completely unreachable.

Thanks,

Sean Brown (sean@sleepyshark.com)

voice: 212.760.1700 x7001

Wanna learn more about me? Check out my bio

Follow me on LinkedIn

Lam allows you to "roam" or in effect have the same ip range routable in a host format. Reading our response that is not the correct solution. If you MUST have the same VLAN/ip subnets in two physically separate locations then you should consider

Psudeo layer 2

Overlay transport virtualisation

Fabric path

brianb
Level 1
Level 1

Sean,

I have just been confronted with this SAME issue, and I have basically the same network setup except I have SUP IV's and I have a dedicated fiber link between campuses (roughly 27miles).  It is VMWARE group requesting same IP/VLAN in the DR as the Main campus.   Researching Andrew's response led me to believe the OTV & Fabric path were only available on Nexus 6500 ~ 7000.  Please advise.

Thank you,

Brian Beadle - Systems Analysts Networks, Chautauqua County

I will message you privately.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: