Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Need advice on network infrastructure and design over WAN

Hi, I've just passed my CCNA exam and now it's time to look at jobs etc....

My issue is that currently I have a Cisco 857W which has an Annex A compatible ADSL2+ modem running on an ADSL line which can provide up to 2+ Annex M standard which I've had for a few years now.

What I would like to do is expand my network over WAN since I may be going abroad to work as there is quite a bit of interest in me at the remote location. So I had in mind to migrate my server and network infrastructure to the remote location then use something like a site-to-site VPN using IPsec from the remote location (server) to my current location where my folks are based at (client).

I could then use OSPF encapsulated in the VPN tunnel for routing information so that both locations join as one network.

This is due to me having to migrate all my resources: http://www.optiplex-networks.com/lab/lab.html

to the remote location.

Does any body have any advice on what routers to get to be able to achieve this and also where I can find config examples of VPN's for remote-access and site-to-site access??

There are some in the documented guides for the 8xx series off the Cisco website in PDF format which show many config examples which I have got all of them only they are a bit confusing due to the labs that they were done in, having IP interface addresses where they don't need and unnecessary config in other places as I used them for reference when I setup my Dialer0 and ATM0 interfaces for my 857W.

The current plan is to get an 891W for my current location as it is OSPF capable and has an integral N-draft wireless controller and a 2821 for my new location which may also be dialed in by a few other remote networks as VPN clients. On top of that I also plan on creating a few network mirrors which is why I've selected such a big box in the first place as I will use it with VDSL2 via external VDSL2 modem which may be load balanced with a second line in time. Basically I figured to be running a few mail servers, web servers, and file servers/software mirrors that I would need the packet forwarding capability of the 2821 and the memory also as my 857W is currently maxed out (am graphing the system stats via Cacti and SNMP on a UNIX server and CPU usage is quite high and memory too due to so many external WAN based connections).

Also this will help me gain some experience with VPN's and 'real' routed networks too in the mean time so that I'm not just restricted to what I'm made to do at work and can have some freedom along the way!

Many thanks for any responses!!!

Kaya

Views
Helpful
Replies