Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Help!!! 6500 Series Catalyst

zerozerotito
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are redesigning our network. I attached our planned diagram.

We have almost 17 Building which each one will connected to Telco by way of G.SHDSL. The Central side is connected to Telco by means of 10M Metro...

Here is what we are looking for.

As you will see in the diagram, we will choose 6500 series switch in the backbone.

Here is the problem for a new Cisco user. 6500 series is based on chasis. And im not sure how to collect them. I mean when we buy a WS-C6503-E, we have to buy some WAN and LAN modules... I dont know how to collect them...

I need at least 10 Giga ports for Servers as you see in the diagrams...

Please help me about choosing or collecting a 6503 with modules...

If you guys need more info, i can do it...

Thanx in advanced...

Ahmet Saat

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm not sure what a 10B is. but If you need a L3 for that and if you will be using sup720 or sup32 which are L3 capable then you can.

hope that helps.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

6503 will only allow you to have 2 line cards, one slot is for the sup.

So you can consider the following combo:

WS-SUP32-10GE-3B -- This will give you 2 10GE.

WS-X6582-2PA -- will give you the WAN link, and you have the flexibility to chose what kind of PA will suit you.

And you can have the third slot for any other line card you need. see release notes for the line card that sup32 does not support:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/ol_4164.htm

or

You can consider this combo:

Sup720 (there are several flavors 3B and 3BXL)

WS-X6704 -- 4 x 10GE ports.

WS-X6182 or WS-x6582 - Flexwan card.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanx...

I dont need 10 Gigabit... Im sorry its my fault... I need The number of 1G is 10...:) Its my fault..

Also I can use 6506 if i need...

Thanx in advanced...

Hi

Unfortunately this link requires a CCO account..

Then instead of sup32-10ge, you can consider WS-SUP32-GE-3B, it has 8 GE ports and a WS-X6516-GE-TX or a WS-X6416-GBIC. this really gives to a lot mode option and if you can go to 6506 that will give you an even more option.

This link have the list of available sups, chassis, line cards, it's a release notes, it will tell you what sup is supported with what chassis and what line card is supported on what sup:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/ol_4164.htm#wp2561983

Hope that helps. Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks again!

One more thing, do i have to use a router to terminate 10B metro connection. Or can i terminate it on a 6500 series Catalyst...

I'm not sure what a 10B is. but If you need a L3 for that and if you will be using sup720 or sup32 which are L3 capable then you can.

hope that helps.

Thanks alot...

Its a missed type... It was 10M Metro ethernet...

Thanx again...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card