Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Some WAN Configuration HELP

I've recently been put in charge of upgrading a network that I had no part in configuring and there isn't a single piece of documentation regarding anything at all. My trouble is now that I need to update the wireless I have no idea what device is broadcasting nor its IP. The system is set up between 2 different physical locations. Location A acts as the main location, with the internet gateway, servers, firewall, and VPN controller. Between the two locations is a point-to-point T1 connection. All internet traffice from location B routes back through A before going to the outside world. Both locations have Cisco Aironet 1100 APs as their wireless access. My problem is that the simple tricks I know to identify gateways don't work because in location A my default gateway is the Sonicwall firewall and in location B it's the one side of the point-to-point. There is zero documentation or anyone with any kind of IT skills that would have this information. Is there any tricks I can use to figure out what's controlling my wireless access points and its IP so I can get into the configuration page and change settings?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to take a minute to point me in the right direction.

1 Reply 1

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Brice,

Do you know if the APs are using a controller? If not, they're set up as autonomous and you'd need to get into it to configure it. How big is your subnet? You can do a couple of things:

You can scan the subnet using nmap and checking for port 23 or 80: nmap -sS -p23,80 192.168.1.0/24

That would scan all hosts in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet for ports 23 and 80. If any of them are open, you can hit them one at a time to see if you can find it.

The other way is to download InSSIDer which is a Windows based app that will show you what SSID you're connected to. I'm assuming that someone  connects to it? Once you connect, InSSIDer will show you the mac address of the radio that you're connected to. You could then look at the switch and cross reference that mac address and then the arp table to see if there's an address associated with it.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card