Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to replace our 3825 screening router

dclee
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for a good replacement.

We use a 3825 router to screen alot of the junk from the internet side or our firewall. Its worked well for the last 4 years but

has rebooted multiple times in the last month for no apparent reason.

At this point I think  I would prefer to replace it.

Our current internet link is 100Mbps and this router handles that quite well.

Is there an equivalent that I should replace it with, or should I just buy another 3825 ?

One with an OOB management port would be nice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

6 Replies 6

Sanjay Shaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dave,

It would be helpful if you you share the logs and also the capture at the time of reboot.

Reboot can also happen due to IOS crash or power source problem or might be loose point of contact.

Had you checked the above points. Sharing a show tech will help to further analyse.

BR// SS

See attached sh tech in my original post

Alcides Miguel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dave,

I think that if you are getting so much reboots you should consider see your logs... something like "Process CPU" should be nice. take a look to your power source... 'cause if you don't have a clear ideia about what's going on should not be nice just consider changing your router.

Best Regards,

Alcides

patrick.preuss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

your show tech states system return by "power on". Please have a look onto your power, if the reload was not intended.

Maybe your cleaner has removed power for the vacuum cleaner. yeah i know a old myth, but sometimes thru.

so look what is happening when the system reboots.

You should configure syslog to a server and maybe a crash dump server, to see whats happening. if this does not bring results connect a console server to the console and log the events there.

your software is defered c3825-ipbasek9-mz.124-15.T1 try to upgrade it to some more recent latest in train is 12.4(15)T17 will fit into your system.

maybe review your config and compare with this guide.

http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-ios-template.html

HTH

Patrick

Hi Dave,

Seen your sh tech easrlier also, but it doesn't have show log. Please post the log and take the capture from hyperterminal once it is rebooting.

Secondly I had seen two crash info in the file system. So collect it from there and post.

And also  run the test crash command to generate the latest crash info and then post here.

Alternatively you can go for IOS upgrade.

BR// SS

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dave,

You "sh tech" shows "System returned to ROM by power-on".  SO I'm suspecting you have a power issue.  According to your "sh tech", the last time this appliance suffered a crash was back in 03 September 2009.  The only "gotcha" with my last statement is I don't know if the time/date are correct because your configuration do NOT have any NTP/SNTP statements.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card