cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to specify traffic on T1s between two locations

tilconny1
Level 1
Level 1

My situation involves two locations, one is a corporate location and the other is a remote office. The corporate location has three T1s multiplexed to a frame cloud so there are multiple sub interfaces on the one serial card for remote office locations (about 20); this router is a Cisco 3620. Two of these 20 sub interfaces are designated to the one remote office.

The remote office has two T1s, both are connected to the same frame cloud and are connected to separate serial interfaces on a Cisco router (1841) and are designated for connectivity to the corporate office as stated above.

Right now the one sub interface on the corporate router is shutdown and its associated interface at the remote office is also shut down as to prevent duplicate paths. The goal is to use one T1 for all traffic to and from the remote office and the other T1 for traffic to and from specific servers located at the remote office and the corporate office. Basically with these two servers in order to synch with each other they will generate enough traffic to designate a T1 for this purpose.

I would appreciate any guidance as to what I should use or configure at the corporate side and remote office to accomplish this.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeff

There are several ways that you could do it. But probably the most simple way is to increase the delay on the circuit that will be the PBR server to server circuit. I would suggest that you do show interface on that circuit, see what delay is applied by default, and configure the interface to give the interface greater delay. This will change the calculated EIGRP metric and make that interface less favorable. You would want to do this on the interfaces on both ends of the circuit (just as you would want to configure PBR on the routers on both ends of the circuit).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are looking for source-based routing and it can be done with Policy-Based Routing (PBR).

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hirp_c/ch20/piconfig.htm#wp1001398

HTH,

__

Edison.

I now understand what I need for the one circuit which will be used exclusively by the two servers but will I need a route-map configuration (PBR) for the other circuit which will route all the other traffic?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Jeff

You should not need PBR or a route map on the other circuit. I would suggest that you adjust the metric on your routing protocol to make the circuit for general traffic more attractive than the metric for the server circuit. That way normal traffic will choose the one T1 and your PBR will send the server traffic over the other T1. If you are not using a dynamic routing protocol then you could achieve much the same thing with static routes.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. We are using dynamic routing and below is what is configured on all the routers inlcuding the two I will be using for this situation. I'm not sure what change should be made to adjust the metric.

Any help would be appreciated.

router eigrp 100

redistribute connected

redistribute static

network 10.0.0.0

no auto-summary

no eigrp log-neighbor-changes

Jeff

There are several ways that you could do it. But probably the most simple way is to increase the delay on the circuit that will be the PBR server to server circuit. I would suggest that you do show interface on that circuit, see what delay is applied by default, and configure the interface to give the interface greater delay. This will change the calculated EIGRP metric and make that interface less favorable. You would want to do this on the interfaces on both ends of the circuit (just as you would want to configure PBR on the routers on both ends of the circuit).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card