Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Need to update 7204VXR (NPE225)

I need to update my Cisco 7204VXR(NPE225)IOS <c7200-is-mz.122-2.T.bin> with an IOS <c7200-jk9s-mz.122-13.T5.bin> from our Cisco7206VXR(NPE400) which supports SSH login.

Does this IOS from 7206VXR compatible with the 7204VXR? I need this update for my SSH login to be enabled, and if not.

How will i check for my routers IOS updates & IOS compatibles?

Thanks

Cliff

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Need to update 7204VXR (NPE225)

Hi,

Any 7200 image will work on your router. Suggest 12.4(3)j or latest 12.2SX.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Cliff

I believe that in general code that runs on a 7206VXR will run on a 7204VXR. I checked the Feature Navigator on the Cisco site and it does not mention any dependencies on what NPE is installed. Both images indicate that their minimum memory requirement is 128 MB of memory and 16 MB of flash so I do not see any problem there.

I do note that the 12.2(13)T series has extended well past T5. The latest appears to be 12.2(13)T16 which means that a number of bugs have been fixed or performance enhanced since the T5 version. If T5 has been working ok for you and you want to just use the same image on both routers that is ok. But if I were doing the upgrade I would think about going to the 12.2(13)T16 version.

HTH

Rick

Community Member

Rick,

Thanks a lot, but i was also wondeing why i can't use the show flash command in 7204VXR?

show version shows & when i show "disk0:" it will not displays as the "show flash" displays results.

Can i temporarily boot my 7204 to this image without deleting my old IOS? If so then how ?

Thanks

Cliff

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Cliff

If show disk0 does not work then you might try dir disk0 and see if it does better.

Depending on the size of the flash/disk0 you may be able to put both images in and use a boot system command to boot the one that you want without disturbing the other image. It may also be possible to have the router boot loading its image from a tftp server instead of from flash/disk0.

Lets resolve the question of how to see what is in flash/disk0 and then we will figure which alternative would be best for loading another image.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content