Helpful
Replies

Netflow on Router - Which Interface?

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

I have a Site A and Site B.

Connected over the Internet via a VPN. I basically want to use Netflow to see the conversations going across the link and then use a program to pull the data in nice to read detail (which I already have).

My question is - do I poll the Outside Interface, or the Lan Interface of the router? Is there a rule set to follow when using Netflow?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Neither.

Normally, what you do is have Netflow send its stats somewhere, i.e. to a Netflow collector.  Then you query the collector for the stats you're interested in.

Buried in the MIBs, I'm guessing there would also be a way to "poll" the Netflow table, but again, Netflow will send you its stats.

Do I not need to add the netflow commands at all to any interface? Is the following enough ?

ip flow-export version 5
ip flow-export destination x.x.x.x 2055

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You also need to "activate" it, per interface.

Overview found here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/netflow/configuration/guide/12_2sr/nf_12_2sr_book/get_start_cfg_nflow.html

NB: note "how" can vary per IOS version.

PS:

Access to Netflow MIB described here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/netflow/configuration/guide/12_2sr/nf_12_2sr_book/cfg_snmp_mib_mon_nf.html

Do you guys have any experience of using Netflow if there is a Riverbed Steelhead at each end of the site?

I'm thinking if I pull stats from the Interface, all it's going to see is the conversation between Site A Riverbed and Site B Riverbed and not the actual real conversations taking place.

Hi,

this is the default Riverbed tunnel mode.

But the Riverbeds are capable to work in transparent mode, keeping the source/destination IP addresses and ports withing the packet header unchanged.

And it should be also possible to get NetFlow from Riverbeds directly, I guess.

Best regards,

Milan

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

basically:

You are collecting NetFlow data on some interface(s) and sending it from a router to a Collector.

So no polling involved at all.

Cisco recommends running NetFlow both on your LAN and WAN interfaces in both incoming and outgoing directions.

If you are interested in your WAN traffic only, configuring NetFlow on the WAN interface (both directions) should be enough though.

In your case I suppose you are running some tunnel through the Internet?

So in that case configuring NetFlow on the tunnel interface would be sufficient, I guess?

See http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/netflow/configuration/12-2sx/nf-12-2sx-book/cfg-nf-gre-tun.html#GUID-D9295EA7-596E-4990-8A21-5C3A0840058C

for details.

Best regards,

Milan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card